09 April 2010

Flashback Friday - Forgetting

This week Jo gave us this prompt:

"Let's just run with the theme of FORGETFULNESS. Write about a time when you forgot something or someone. Or write about an experience or person that was UNFORGETTABLE."

I have to take a deep breath, dive in, and trust you won't laugh so hard and so long that I'll never be able to show my face again. But since I know that God despises the proud I submit my tale in humility.

We had recently moved from Rick's home town to a much smaller town about 30 minutes away. He was settling in at his new job and I had quit my work as a cashier at Safeway Foods to work as a cook/waitress at a local diner. Rick would leave to walk to work at 7:30 and I would usually find things to do around the house until it was late enough that I'd have to drive the few short blocks to make it in on time before the breakfast customers started arriving.

On one particularly clear day I decided I would walk, so I made sure I gave myself lots of time. I was enjoying the feel of the warm air and the opportunity to observe the state of everyone else's vegetable gardens as I passed by. Much nicer than driving, I thought, and made a mental note to do this more often.

I actually arrived with much time to spare, so the owner suggested we sit and chat over a cup of coffee or two. I poured us each a cup and brought them to the table. I sat and lifted the cup to my mouth... and... by the grace of God alone, before I parted my lips I realized that I had left home without wearing my false teeth. Now I'm not talking about a tooth or two here and there.. but a full denture on the top and a partial bottom plate that filled in for all but 3 remaining real teeth.

My hand went to my mouth immediately and turning my head I muttered about having to run back home for a minute, promising to be back before my shift was due to start. Instead of a leisurely cup of coffee, I power walked back to the house, mouth shut, fixed my teeth in place and drove back. Not quite the best way to start what had seemed to be a good day.

Now, when you stop chuckling, go visit Jo at Mylestones and add your own Flashback Friday

1 comment:

Jo said...

Oh my word. Now THAT is a story I'll never forget! :-)
These are the moments in life that we deem "blog-worthy"--embarrassing, yes, but great blog fodder!