22 October 2013

Surrender like Esther

from the work of Lilian Broca
Esther was asked to live dangerously for the sake of her people.  Her very life was on the line if she went to speak to the King without being summoned.  She wanted to choose a simpler and safer way… but her uncle Mordechai reminded her:

For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance shall arise for the Jews from elsewhere, but you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows but that you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this and for this very occasion? Esther 4:14 Amplified

Esther chose the way of the Lord, the way of surrender. She didn't know what the outcome would be.  She didn't know the mind of the King.  But she did know her God. She chose to trust Him even when her rational mind could only see danger. She sent this message back to Mordechai:

Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast for me; and neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day. I also and my maids will fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law; and if I perish, I perish.  Esther 4:16 Amplfied

Esther did not perish and in her choice to surrender her own safety her people were saved.  God rewarded her obedience.

I’m reminded of a favourite song, People on their Knees by Tracy Rahn:

No more wasting time
The days are nearly over
The Groom is quickly coming
He greets us with a kiss
And proclaims you have been chosen
For such a time as this
I chose to follow You
Forsaking all I know
I’m taking up my cross
And if I die, I die
To find my life in You
O Lord this is my cry

Will you join me in prayer? A simple, powerful and scary prayer? Tell Him with a sincere heart:

Lord, to find my life in You, I will do whatever You ask.

Day 22 of 31 Days of Surrender

 

No comments: