18 May 2011

Moved by His hand

Our journey into Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis continues as Jason and Sarah lead us in Book II Chapter 4 The Perfect Penitent.  In the middle of trying to explain his views on why and how we need and receive salvation through Christ, Lewis penned these words:
Yes, but what do we mean when we talk of God helping us?  We mean God putting into us a bit of Himself, so to speak.  He lends us a little of His reasoning powers and that is how we think; He puts a little of His love into us and that is how we love one another.  When you teach a child writing, you hold its hand while it forms the letters; that is, it forms the letters because you are forming them.  We love and reason because God loves and reasons and holds our hand while we do it.
So stirs the desire of my heart
to be a willing pen in His hand

My heart is overflowing with a good theme; I recite my composition concerning the King; My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.  Psalm 45:1 NKJV

to surrender to His lead
as He shapes His will
within me, without me,
through me.

Anything of worth
or beauty
is that which He deposits
and what blessing
to be a vessel
where He might
choose His goodness
to dwell.

Not because of who I am
but to glorify His name
my spirit moves
to the beating of His heart.

Sarah is hosting us today at Living Between the Lines.


4 comments:

Glynn said...

I love the poem, Karin. And I love "the willing pen." There's a lot we could do with that metaphor -- and should. Good post.

Sarah Salter said...

Karin, I loved this excerpt, too. Of course, honestly, I have a love affair with hands... ESPECIALLY God's hands. (I've written some posts on the topic that can clarify if that sounds odd to you.) But seriously, to be held in God's hands, created by them, shaped by them, taught by them... And He's such a gentle Master... Oh, I just love it! Thanks, Karin!

Anonymous said...

You challenge and bless me, Karin. Love this poem!

Anonymous said...

i like how you and clive put this.