07 September 2010

Hope - So much in one word

Last February my family gathered to mourn the passing of my father.

I felt different, an alien in a foreign land.

There were many tears shed all around. I am the youngest of three, and the only girl. For all of my 53+ years, my father called me “the baby”. I would have expected his death to hit me harder than my brothers, yet they struggled in ways I did not.

So I questioned myself.

Was I hard hearted? That didn’t seem possible. Those of you who know me can testify to how easily I am moved by emotion. Surely I loved my father, didn’t I?

Was it because I had already been grieving the loss of the father I loved for years as dementia took bite after bite of the man I knew away from me? I’m sure that played a part as well.

But there was something more. Something I couldn’t put my finger on. Something that set me apart and left me experiencing things in a far different way than any of my family members and their friends.

“What is it?” I asked the Lord in prayer.

“ME” came the response that should have been obvious to me all along.

Jesus. Faith. Hope. I have a hope that is unique in my family.

But what is hope?

The modern conception of hope is “to wish for, to expect, but without certainty of fulfillment; to desire very much, but with no real assurance of getting that desire.”

But according to biblical usage, hope is an indication of certainty. “Hope” in Scripture means “a strong and confident expectation.”

We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand—out in the wide open spaces of God's grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise. Romans 5:2 The Message

Hope may refer to the activity of hoping, or to the object hoped for—the content of one’s hope. I don’t only hope in Christ, Christ Himself is my hope.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen Hebrews 11:1 NKJV

I cannot see, but I know
through my faith, hope
in that hope, faith increases
in that increase,
Lord reveal Yourself in me
through me
that the world might know You
to the glory of Your Name.





Stop by Bridget Chumbley's for more words on hope.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

God is so funny. I mean how awesome is it that we would post almost the same thing on the same day! Thank you for your words of encouragement and comfort. Blessings to you!

Glynn said...

It makes a huge difference. It doesn't mean we don't grieve; but it does mean we have hope. Good post.

herbhalstead said...

yes yes - hope with Christ is certainty of peace - without him, it is doubt of peace

Sandra Heska King said...

"But as for me, I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more." Psalm 71:14

jasonS said...

Amen, Karin. Thank you.

Unknown said...

The enemy wants to steal so much from us. Thank God for hope which gives us so much! Thanks for sharing your heart and encouragement!

Tammy@Fear Not said...

Yes! My Husband and I had the same thing happen to us when his father passed this summer. Our Hope made it so peaceful. We believe his Dad went with Christ and so we know our seperation is only temporary. Besides, Heaven is way cooler.

Helen said...

"But according to biblical usage, hope is an indication of certainty. 'Hope' in Scripture means 'a strong and confident expectation.'"

And this is the Hope that makes grief bearable. The wishing definition just won't cut it when we are talking about loss. Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

Hope may refer to the activity of hoping, or to the object hoped for—the content of one’s hope. I don’t only hope in Christ, Christ Himself is my hope.

Amen. Great post. Thank you!