13 October 2011

Tired body - hungry soul

I am still a bit feverish and congested.  Coughing makes everything hurt and leaves me exhausted.  Making the bed in the morning feels like a major accomplishment.

My body is tired, my soul is hungry.  Where I would usually feast on the Word I haven't had the powers of concentration to read.  I am blessed that I have cultivated the practice of being quiet in His presence.  Today, sitting in the recliner that I call my "Jesus chair" memories of a time seeking His comfort flooded my mind:

In late 2007 Rick and I went to Kampala, Uganda to be part of a Global build team for Watoto Childcare Ministries. Neither of us had ever travelled such a distance. After an 8 hour overnight flight from Toronto to London and a 12 hour wait, we were on our final leg, another 8 hour overnight flight, from London to Entebbe. I had not slept since leaving home, and restlessly envied Rick's ability to sleep.

I was feeling quite sick and tired but still unable to sleep. I was turned a bit sideways and leaned into the seat, trying to imagine myself finding God’s chest for comfort. I sensed He wanted me to stretch myself full out upon Him, for I was very small compared to His greatness, so I turned again, leaning straight back into my seat.

The word He gave to me was:

I will hold you and I will heal you. As you lay upon my chest, in My arms you will find rest

What I felt and pictured was His arms around me - one hand washing me and the other anointing wounds with oil. I wanted to know what I was being anointed for but instead surrendered and said:

"I don't need to know, as long as You know."

The word and vision carried me through the ordeal of jet lag and illness, teaching me that rest, true rest, is found only in Him.

Today I choose to let His presence carry me again.


FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG

Jamming with Bonnie about feeding a hungry soul


and joining Emily and other imperfect but loved

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

recline and relax
be comforted in His presence

Patricia said...

when we might be tempted to whine and complain to everyone around us about our misery, you found the perfect anecdote for rest... the Father's arms.

Unknown said...

Ah, rest. Sometimes even forced rest for me. Get well as you rest. Take care.