23 December 2010

Sit & listen - Go & see

Winter has settled around us, snow a reality that will last till the warm winds of Spring decide to blow.  But for me there is beauty here and the promise of time, not structured, unscheduled, leaving me free to sit at the feet of the One Who called me to swap American for Canadian soil, suburban sprawl for rural expanse.

Then the calling continued:

Go to Africa to see how people can live with less yet find more joy than those who drown in their abundance.

Stop seeking to define your life by what you do. Do not find your identity in career or position, but in Me alone.  After more than 35 years of working, in obedience, I chose not to be employed outside our home.

Sit and listen or go and see, both whispered by the same Spirit. 

He said go and learn what a missions based life of faith might look like, taste like, how you might fit inside its skin.  That life intrigues and challenges and beckons.  We know what we have heard is the sound of His voice and we wait for His timing, His perfect plan.

His promises pile up like this snow outside my door.  I will not put them on the shelf, but like the gifts beneath our Christmas tree I wait with great anticipation for the moment He asks me to open each.  Until then, I savour the time He has asked me to breathe in His fragrance, that is itself perhaps the greatest gift, the highest call.

But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her Luke 10:42 NKJV

FaithBarista_Christmas_JamBadge

I'm joining in with Bonnie and others at her Faith Barista Jam as we continue to Unwrap Jesus this Christmas.

4 comments:

Sandra Heska King said...

"His promises pile up like this snow outside my door."

Love that.

Breathe deep, my friend. Indeed, a high calling.

Nikole Hahn said...

"Stop seeking to define your life by what you do..." I like that statement. Too many times, either intentionally or unintentionally, we do.

Bonnie Gray said...

"His promises pile up like this snow outside my door. I will not put them on the shelf, but... I wait with great anticipation for the moment He asks me to open each. "

This spoke to me. I want to have the faith to open them in the new year. Shall we together, dear friend? :)

I love your words -- the heart for Christ behind them. Thank you for sharing your thoughts in the jam this year. I always find something warm to sip and enjoy!

Merry Christmas and happy new year!

Sheryl said...

I'm with Sandra and Bonnie---I love the line about God's promises piling up like the snow outside your door.

Well said!