03 February 2011

Random Thursday, disturbed and pleasant...

Allowing my mind to wander, ramble, flutter about and land where it will today.

The bright white expanses of snow that surround our home have been littered with twigs and branches disturbed by the ferocious winds that prowled our area yesterday.  Paths were filled in and drifts already high have taken on extreme proportions.  We're not sure if Faith can get into her dog house and I may go pound down a path with my feet because the snow is now too heavy for me to shovel.

But the sun is shining, temperatures are rising and how can I complain if this is the life I chose?

God has been speaking to me lately through many different sources:

On Monday as I drove behind Rick to the mechanic to drop off his truck for service I hesitated to play worship discs because of the bumpy road, so instead tuned in the local radio station.  I found myself singing along with Bruce Spingsteen's Dancing in the Dark and was struck through the heart by the lyric:
You can't start a fire worrying about your little world falling apart
Thank You Lord, I thought, for reminding me that I cannot be effective for Your Kingdom if I'm too wrapped up in my "self".

And today I ran into the following quote by C. S. Lewis:
Humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less
Again, like a two by four to the side of the head... it is not about me.  It is not about me at all.

Can I share a secret with you?  I don't mean to disappoint, but it isn't about you either.

It's all about Jesus.  Will you join me today in magnifying His name, turning our eyes off of the things of this world and fixing them on Him? 

It's a glorious view. 


Stop by Duane's Scribing the Journey to read more pleasant disturbances

3 comments:

Helen said...

I like that quote by Lewis. Something to think about!

Sandra Heska King said...

I stumbled over a very cool line in lyrics to a not so very cool song. I hesitated to share. But I think it's amazing how God can speak His truth to our hearts through anything He chooses.

Duane Scott said...

I'm stealing your quote... Love it!