24 January 2010

Sunday snowy Sunday


Road reports said "travel not advised"
in obedience we forsook
the gathering together
of the people of God

not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:25 NKJV

In the silence
I ached for the sound
of voices united
in worship
shouts of praise unto our King

I remembered a video tape we have of Tommy Tenney and a night of worship with David & Nicole Binion, God Chasers in Hot Pursuit. As it played, I did not merely watch and listen, I entered in. I found the place I had been missing as my spirit found wings to fly.

Later, Rick went out to shovel a path to the barn, and decided to take our 4 wheel drive vehicle for a short drive to check the roads. The ride was shorter than he expected, as he replayed an experience I had last winter. He lost the road and found the field.

We called CAA for help and they informed us that the tow truck could not come until the roads were cleared. Rick called the towing company to let them know that the plows would not be able to come down our road with the vehicle in the way. It seemed we were caught in a true Catch 22.

God was surely listening in as Rick spoke with the towing man, for the idea sprung up to call a neighbor with a tractor small enough to plow our road without hitting the car. The towing guy agreed that he would then be able to come pull us out sometime tomorrow.

The first neighbor we called was not at home, likely somewhere warm on holidays. Rick tried another who said he'd be here in about an hour. As the time drew near, Rick put on his winter gear to meet him up the road. As soon as he stepped out, a tractor pulled into the yard. Not only did he clear the road, together they were able to free the car and Rick drove it back safely into the barn. The man in the tractor then began to clear our yard. He would take no pay, not even our offering of pickles or salsa.

Rick came to the door, told me to call the neighbor who was coming and tell him a different neighbor had shown up unexpectedly and was taking care of things. "When it rains, it pours" was all I could think. I called and got the neighbors wife, who said he was already on his way. Though we both felt badly about having him come out needlessly, he didn't seem upset. "These things happen" he said "I'll clear some more of this snow in your yard while I'm here." All he would accept for his trouble was a few heads of Rick's garlic.

The winds are expected to blow strong again tonight. We can't know how things will look inthe morning, but for now, our vehicles are safe and our yard is clear. We have a loving Father who not only gives us what we need, but gives in abundance. To Him we give the glory. To Him be all the praise.

2 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

Snow is such a mixed beauty, isn't it?

Thank you for your encouragement at my blog this afternoon. I hope you all stay safe.

L.L. Barkat said...

I do love the beauty of that scene, that photo... its own kind of comfort.

Thanks, btw, for stopping by Love Notes to Yahweh. :)