29 January 2010

Flashback Friday - The First Meeting

Jo at Mylestones has started a great new feature called Flashback Fridays giving us the opportunity to take a journey to a time in our past.
This week I'm sharing my first face-to-face with my beloved after God had forged our connection online.
My bags were packed; plans were made for my mother to drive me to the airport. It was the night before my flight, and there was nothing left to do but talk with Rick on the phone and sleep. I was excited, but also nervous and listening yet again to fear and doubt, words that were not coming from the mouth of God.
Departing Toronto PearsonImage via Wikipedia

“What if you decide I'm too ugly” I asked “I'm scared. I'm sure of God but not sure of me.”

“Why don't you take a tranquilizer or sleeping pill if you have one” he said. “You need to get some rest tonight and not worry so. Unless you develop Elephant Man disease overnight, there is nothing to worry about.”

Somehow his words and the time we spent in prayer together soothed me and I was able to get a little bit of sleep. I rose ready to face whatever the Lord was about to do.

When my mother was dropping me off at the airport, she asked “Are you going to come back married?”

“Maybe so” I answered, not wanting to admit that we had already planned for that.

“Will you call when you get there, to let us know you're safe?”

“Of course I will Mom, and don't worry.” A quick hug and kiss goodbye and I walked into the airport terminal and a new beginning.

Once the plane had reached cruising altitude I did what came naturally. I pulled out my journal and began to write:

“It is so bright up here in God's light. Surrounded by the light this morning on the first part of journey. But.. I have had His light around me for weeks now. I am so sure of Him, in a way I had not previously felt.

Oh my precious Father, what new words can I find to praise You? How to best let Your name be glorified? Let Your light shine through me, Lord, for every living soul to see Your reflection in me.

I ask for guidance this morning Father, trusting that You will lead me where You want me, but not quite trusting myself. Let me not chase after my own desires, but continue to seek what You desire of me.”

The time spent in prayer and reflection soothed my spirit. Stashing the journal back in my carry on, I was ready for the plane to land and to walk into the arms of the man who waited for me.

I stood in the immigration services line with my passport, thinking it odd that Canada was a foreign country. When I was called to the desk, the officer asked me “What is the purpose of your visit, business or pleasure?”

“Pleasure. Definitely pleasure” I replied, while thinking “and about my Father's business”

The officer stamped my passport and I was free to retrieve my bags when they came around on the carousel. The two suitcases were bulky and hard to handle and I felt foolish for packing so much.

One more line to wait in for the customs agent, who simply took my declaration card and said “Welcome to Canada” and I walked through the doors to find Rick, wearing the hat he said he would wear so I would recognize him, just in case he looked different than his picture.

After weeks of imagining what it would feel like, I was held tight in his embrace. Then he whispered very clearly in my ear “a hundred and ten percent, baby.”

I remembered his words to his pastor when he had asked Rick how he could be so sure I was the right woman for him. “I'm 99 percent sure now. When I meet her at the airport I'll be a hundred percent sure.”

“Hundred and ten, eh?” I laughed, feeling every bit of apprehension drain from my being. I knew I was exactly where I was supposed to be, at last.
Why not take a few minutes and stop here to read other's tales and share a flashback of your own.

15 comments:

Kellye said...

WOW! I so have to know more about how this came to be!!!! What a beautiful story!

Jo said...

Wow, now THIS is a love story!
I agree with Kellye. You need to tell us more. Maybe next week? :-)
Thanks for linking up today!

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful story and only made me want to read more! Will you continue next Friday? I hope so. :-)

-FringeGirl

Rebekah said...

I'll be back next week to hear more! But you may have to take us back again before we go forward from here. ; )

Sharone said...

Ok, this story gave me chills! What a powerful love story! I second (fifth?) the call for more!! And I'll definitely be back. :)

Kathy Schwanke said...

What a compelling story, I feel like I missed the first few chapters. Have you written about "before" this part of the story?

Blessings!
Kathy

Dawn said...

incredible... it brought a fresh well of tears to my eyes. love love love....

you gotta wonder said...

Oh! That's such a beautiful story. You are truly blessed.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Ok... that gave me goosebumps.

Sharon @ Hiking Toward Home said...

So sweet to KNOW you are walking in God's will for your life! Thanks for sharing the memory.

Shelby said...

Amazing! The story of my husband and me is very similar so it's no wonder I feel a connection of sorts with you. I wasn't walking with God then but He was leading me to where I needed to be anyway. He is amazing like that. I, like the others, would love to hear more of your story.

Bina said...

I just popped over from Graceful's blog...and I read this with a huge smile on my face. I met my husband online and although I didn't have to take a plane ride to meet him (he lived only 4 miles from me)...I had the same questions and concerns as you, and a very similar prayer!!

Thanks for the grin and the memories you stirred up. Think I will go give my man a kiss on the cheek for just being wonderful and mine!!
Bina

Ann Kroeker said...

I suppose I'm repeating all the comments streaming down, but wow! What a story! What a man! What joy!

Christy of The Travel Bags said...

How very sweet, and you--how very brave!

a joyful noise said...

I remember reading this when you first posted it and I thought How beautiful and romantic too. God is so good !!