12 January 2010

Mirror Image

Funhouse Mirror

How often do you look in the mirror? What do you see? Can you love the person who's looking back at you? Can you see her through God's eyes? Can you look beyond the skin and see her heart?

But the Lord said to Samuel, Look not on his appearance or at the height of his stature, for I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7 Amplified

In a world (including those who number themselves as disciples of Christ) that is preoccupied with weight, fitness and beauty, I find myself struggling to see through His eyes of love. Instead I see excess flesh, wrinkles, dark circles and scars.

I need to know His love to be able to love myself, and I need to love myself to enable change.

I sense I am not alone in this struggle. Let's pray that we would learn to see what He sees when He casts His eyes of love upon us. Instead of viewing ourselves as errors let us to learn to rejoice in what the One Who makes no mistakes has created.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Lisa-Jo Baker said...

Because, at the end of the day, what's reflected in the mirror is all Christ-covered and so all beautiful. We look and see His reflection. What a relief. Especially since it goes way past skin deep.

Kelly Sauer said...

I laughed to run across this post with this title - I am so unoriginal! (Or is it His Spirit growing us up into Him?)

I wrote an article for Ungrind last year titled Mirror Image - same topic, same train of thought. What a cool thing!

Thank you for the follow at my blog today!

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling said...

What a beautiful thought! I think as women, especially as women, this is a struggle for us all.

It is hard for us to understand that he made us as we are that that our perceived 'flaws and weaknesses' were designed by Him for a purpose!!