21 January 2010

A rant - An apology

I love the life the Lord gave to me here in the middle of nowhere. I love our land. I love my home. I even love the fact that it can be winter for more than eight months of the year.

I do not miss the rush of urban life, the crowds, the noise, the dirt. I lived in that for 43 years and gratefully left it behind. Now my life moves in time with the seasons of sowing and reaping, seed time and harvest, a rhythm that is real and natural. Connections have been planted here.

In. Real. Life.

But there is another place that I live as well. A place with no walls, no borders, no limits. Using technology we can reach out to the world and forge connections that would otherwise be impossible.

So begins my rant. There is a very annoying aspect to this country beauty that surrounds me. Slow, SLOW, painfully SLOW dial-up internet. Our connection gets no faster than 28k, yes that's "k" friends. Some people wonder how I manage to blog at all. It must be the spirit of perseverence that God gifted me with, like the persistant widow.

Jesus told them a story showing that it was necessary for them to pray consistently and never quit. He said, "There was once a judge in some city who never gave God a thought and cared nothing for people. A widow in that city kept after him: 'My rights are being violated. Protect me!' "He never gave her the time of day. But after this went on and on he said to himself, 'I care nothing what God thinks, even less what people think. But because this widow won't quit badgering me, I'd better do something and see that she gets justice—otherwise I'm going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding.'" Luke 18:1-5 The Message

I seem to waste ridiculous amounts of time waiting for my computer to respond to simple requests. I get frustrated. I get impatient. I get angry at our lack of options. It's not that we refuse to pay for high-speed, or wireless, or satellite or cable, there is none available.

"I love my life here in the country" I tell myself again and again. And I do.

But....

When I try to reach out and connect with many of you I find that your pages won't load. I can't view your videos, never mind enter into the new realm of vlogging. The connection is just too slow.

Most painful of all is my inability to leave as many comments as I'd like. As a blogger, I know how those words of encouragement and understanding, those "amens" spur us on. I don't enjoy being a lurker when I truly do have things to share with you.

So I ask for your forgiveness. I'm with you. I'm reading and loving your words and hearts. I'm sending you my prayers. I'm leaving my responses where and when I can.

Will you join me in prayers that internet options here will soon change? And please be patient with me until that time comes.


9 comments:

Victoria said...

I love that you truly want to reach out and connect with the women who encourage you or those who simply need encouraging. Praying will continue to be the hugest source of support you or I can offer anyone! Keep it up, God's got a great connection!

Lisa-Jo Baker said...

You so precious to care so much about those you know from a distance.

Leah Adams said...

What a beautiful heart you have for reaching out to others. Bless your sweet heart. I cannot imagine having to endure dial up. What about satellite internet??? I pray that you will be able to get better service soon.

Leah

WhiteStone said...

I commisserate with you. This week we are away from home and I'm using our old laptop via wireless. A bit slow!

Erin @ Closing Time said...

How sweet of you to let us know! I struggle to find time to blog and comment, and we have DSL. I cannot imagine what you must go through...you are a patient woman! :)

I pray that some better connection becomes available for you very soon!

Doug Spurling said...

Your comment to me today was right on time (good thing I wasn't on that ladder because it touched me deeply.) Thank you thank you thank you.

Timing is relative. Not so long ago it would take days and weeks for us to write back and forth. As I see it you're traveling at the speed of light...The Light.

(I won't admit it but secretly I know how you feel and have been tempted to throw my lap-top out the window at times)

Dougism ~ Take your time you'll get there faster.

Kelly Sauer said...

Awh!!! This makes me value your comments even more! Thank you for the gift of some of that precious time at my blog today!

Briggs said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog... but the truth being..I love your hugs in church more :)

Lynn Briggs.

Bonnie Gray said...

What a sweet rant you have ;) ... Hello from these boundless walls of fellowship. SO appreciate your words left on Faith Barista so much more.

43 years - left urban life.. hmm. if there's a story you've written a post 'bout this-- would love the link!