12 July 2013

Right here, right now

there is much I have left behind
shaken off like an extra layer of clothing
useless and heavy in the heat
I don't spend much time 
looking back

pressing forward, ever forward
like Paul urged us

Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; 
but this one thing I do: 
forgetting what lies behind 
and straining forward to what lies ahead, 
I press on toward the goal 
for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus 

yet that forward thrust
leaves me missing this moment
right here, right now
the gift of the present
a breath inhaled
then gone

we have answered God's call
agreeing as one
here we are Lord, send us
paperwork completed
we pray, we wait
attempts to silence the questions
fall short
as my mind grinds on
where? when?
feeling like those who wait for a child to adopt
checking email, again and again and yes, again
maybe the phone will ring
or something at the post office...

and today slips away again into yesterday
left behind

Five Minute Friday
joining Lisa-Jo where the prompt is present

 

3 comments:

Denise said...

Bless you dear one.

Karen said...

Beautiful writing! Wow, so apropo for me ... lovely, really ... thanks! And the picture as well ... will stop back by. Take care, Karen

Amy Ward said...

A beautiful reminder to savor each moment as they happen...not focusing on the past and not fretting over the future...savoring the present.