21 June 2012

The Way Bible - Tyndale House

As I frequently mention, I have a yearning for real, for true, for living honest and transparent in the world.  When I read Tyndale House's words about their revision of the 1970's Bible The Way:
Today’s 16–30 year olds are looking for connection to something bigger than themselves. They want something that works and is honest, authentic.
I thought, "yes, indeed", though I am surely in a different age group.  The hunger for authenticity transcends age.

Though perhaps not my favourite, I do enjoy the New Living Translation for a refreshing change of language. The translation, however, is not what sets this Bible apart from others.  It is the notes that introduce each book, the sharp black and white photos, the Living in the Way commentaries that lead to deeper thought about what living like Jesus really means.  What I most enjoy are additions from real people scattered liberally throughout the pages.  These include This Is My Story and What I Wish I'd Known,  true stories of struggle and learning.  There are also the words of hearts crrying out for answers in pages called Laments.

With only an old fashioned cell, not a smart phone, I could not take advantage of the more interactive benefits of this journey through God's Word, and as of yet have not scanned a single QR (quick response) Code,  I'll be interested to see howthat adds to the experience.

The back cover reads:
The answers that Christians have given me just seem to fall flat. Like maybe the people giving them don't even believe what they're saying. What I really want is someone to show me that all of this matters. That there is a better way to live.

Show me that the way of Jesus is better.
I believe and pray this revision of The Way will do just that.

Advanced Reader's Copy of the Bible has been provided courtesy of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.  Available at your favourite bookseller from Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.

The opinions I have expressed are my own.

 

No comments: