05 June 2012

Love Does by Bob Goff

I first heard of Bob Goff through the words of Donald Miller and all at once thought, “What an extraordinary sounding man. I’d love to know more about him.” I was given the opportunity to do exactly that through Goff’s new book Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World.

The author’s website explains:
In this book of compelling stories coupled with eye-opening truths, author Bob Goff shows you a new way to live, a way that’s drenched with the whimsy of God’s love and the spontaneity of following where he leads when he says “Go!” In this book, you learn what it looks like to be secretly incredible and advance God’s kingdom everywhere you are and wherever you’re going.
My heart has been turned towards God’s Kingdom and ways of reflecting all glory onto Him, so the idea of “secretly incredible” resonated deep in my spirit. What we do isn’t for ourselves, or about ourselves, but for our King, and He can use whatever broken pieces we offer. As Goff writes:
A couple of other things happen when we accept Jesus’ invitation to participate with Him in life. Obstacles that seem insurmountable aren’t. Impediments that we believe disqualify us don’t. When we show up to participate with Jesus in the big life, we’re participating with the very being who made life in the first place. He gently asks us how we are and invites us to get better together with Him.
Sometime’s Goff’s tales made me chuckle. Sometimes they left me laughing loud and long. There were tales they prompted tears as well. More often than not they left a knowing deep within that there is so much more to life with our Lord than we imagine.

As a writer, I know how it feels to want another to read, enjoy and be moved by the words you have strung together. Yet I wouldn’t be surprised that if you told Bob Goff you hadn’t been able to finish reading his book because you were off on a new adventure, he wouldn’t mind at all. In fact, I think he’d be delighted.

Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson.

The opinions I have expressed are my own.

 

1 comment:

Nancy Franson said...

I read this last week. I heard Goff speak at a conference in Pittsburgh last February. What an amazing storyteller; what an amazing man!