26 August 2011

A Confident Heart by Renee Swope

Ever feel like you're not good enough?  Have you spent your life trying to measure up?  In A Confident Heart - How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises,  Renee Swope addresses the problem.

Weaving the story of her own life through the pages, Renee attempts to bring hope to others lost in the maze of self doubt.  I've been there and I must admit I still visit that place often, so I was looking forward to reading this new book.

I found myself disappointed, the words felt thin and the scriptures, though rich felt offered more as platitude than meaty truth.  Perhaps it is because of my own journey to live through  Colossians 3:1-4 NIV
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
that I find myself struggling here.  I have been choosing to lose myself to be found in Him and so this book  feels far too "self" focused.

I am sure there is much to encourage and inspire readers, but at this stage of my personal journey I was left wanting more.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
The opinions I have expressed are my own.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I have been wondering about this book. THanks for your honesty, Karin. That scripture...oh, my. Just last night I was crying to God in shame about my actions. Hide me, I told Him. Just let me stay hidden in you. I felt such peace.

Danmark said...

"A Confident Heart" should be read by every woman--young or old! God has blessed Renee with the ability to communicate His deep love for each of us. Through the scriptures, she gives hands-on ways to get our eyes off our own weaknesses and doubts and look to Him for His strength and confidence. I felt like she was writing the book just for me, but was encouraged to know that I was not alone in my struggles. I will forever be changed!