03 July 2009

I am Undone by "Scared:A Novel on the Edge of the World"

I have spent much of the past two days reading the first novel by Tom Davis called "Scared: A Novel on the Edge of the World". If this was simply fiction it would have been an easier read, but there is so much fact, so much sad truth behind the story that I frequently broke down in sobs and tears and needed to take breaks to dry my eyes and deal with ever running sinuses.



I found myself praying often. For Africa, for the children, for the desperate. And I prayed for those of us who walk in freedom and comfort and riches and yet grumble and complain about petty and trivial inconveniences in our lives.

This is a tale of sorrow, need and unspeakable acts. But it is also a story of hope, redemption and transformation; for we serve a God Who's name is Love, Who works all things for good as is promised in His Word:

"We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose." Romans 8:28 Amplified

If you can read Tom's novel and remain untouched then you have been formed of steel, not flesh. I challenge you to read this and allow your heart to be broken for the things that break the heart of the Father.

I challenge myself to allow these words to stir me to action, so that I might be a change agent; so that it might be said of me what was said of Stuart (the protagonist):

“Brother, you are God’s vessel. You, my brother, are the hands and feet of Christ, the hope of Christ to the people.”

2 comments:

Amy Jo said...

So glad you enjoyed Tom's book. I know you will be blessed by Red Letters as well! Yes, this is definitely a book that is difficult to read, but so worth it. Praying His sweet blessings upon you! - Amy

sailorcross said...

I haven't read this yet, but I've heard a lot about this book. I think I'm going to have to start reading this evening. I'll let you know.

Beth