01 June 2013

Come back to the quiet

The Spirit works deep within us, so deeply that we cannot always identify its presence. 
The effect of God's spirit is deeper than our thoughts and emotions. 
That is why setting aside a special time and place for prayer is so important. 
Often we do not feel like praying and our minds are distracted. 
The lack of motivation and difficulty focusing
 make us think that our prayer time is useless and wasted time. 
Still, it is very important to remain faithful to these times 
and simply stick with our promise to be with God, 
even if nothing in our minds, hearts, or bodies wants to be there. 
Simple faithfulness in prayer gives the Spirit of God a real chance to work in us, 
to help us be renewed in God's hands and be conformed to God's will. 
During these sacred times and places, we can be touched in deep, hidden, and tender places. 
We can become more fully aware of the divine presence 
and more open to God's guidance as we are led to new places of love.
Henri Nouwen

As I retreated to the silence yesterday at day's dawning, the Lord shared a similar word:

Why keep trying to walk on your own when I promise to lead you?
Come back to our quiet time with open ears, open eyes, open heart, 
for there is much I can show you.
I will direct you.  I will correct you.  
I will guide you in the way you should go.
Often what seems to be a circle is My most effective path.
Now may be just the time to abandon your human reason, 
throw it into the fire of faith.

 
still with Sandy

abiding with Cheryl
 

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Perfect thoughts for this weekend and a new month. Copied them in my journal - thank you! Quiet is my theme word for this year, and I do have to keep coming back to it. So easy to wander off the path. Love the thought that a circle may be His path as He leads us along. Beautiful.

caryjo said...

Deeply, quickly distracted is a constant issue of mine ... in fact it just happened when I was doing this and a granddaughter walked into my office and she needed to be yammered at about a driving under-age issue. NOW, I'll try to re-enter the other world. Grinning again. Bless you.