06 September 2012

To be like Faith

Our dog Faith had an encounter with a porcupine.  We did not hear or see what happened, only the results. We can only assume she tried to bite the creature for she had a mouth full of quills embedded in her jaw, lips, her top palette and even one in her tongue.

Rick moved quickly into action while I had a bit of a freak-out.  He ran down to the basement for side cutters and pliers.  He said if you cut the quill tips it releases the trapped air and they are easier to pull out.  To me, the task seemed impossible, but with patience and love Rick kept Faith (and me) as calm as he could, removing quills one at a time.  With each one he yanked out more became visible. I imagined that we would have to take her to the vet to be sedated.  Her mouth was bloody and she squirmed, whined and tried to bite, all the while looking at Rick trusting that he would make things better.

I had to help with the last and most difficult quills, those in the roof of her mouth and her tongue.  Rick grasped her jaw, keeping her mouth open while I used the pliers and pulled. These hurt and she yelped with each extraction.  When the last was finally out, she danced, wiggled and licked us.  As for me, I broke down in tears, thanking God and thanking Rick, relieved that it was over.  Her mouth seems to be a bit tender but she is in all other ways back to her normal happy self.

The next morning, as I opened my journal to hear what the Lord would share, He said:

Just as you could not turn away from your beloved dog when she was troubled and in pain, so too do I attend to your cries, little one.  Even when your struggles are the consequence of your own foolish actions I Am here to help and to heal.

When you get dirty I wash you clean.  I bathe your wounds and lavish you with My love.

Do you have the same blind trust in Me that Faith has in you?

She knows you are for her, not against her and runs to you, not from you.

Now - do likewise.

What then shall we say to [all] this? If God is for us, who [can be] against us? [Who can be our foe, if God is on our side?] Romans 8:31 Amplified



Happy to be back joining Emily and the broken redeemed

 

3 comments:

Carrie Van Horn said...

Glad to see you back at Emily's.....lovely message in this post, and glad that Faith is doing better. :-)

Anonymous said...

A lovely reminder that God loves us and so beautifully illustrated through your lovely dog Faith. Thank you a message I needed to hear today.

Mommy Emily said...

i love how the Lord tenderly cares for us, how he not only loves us... he adores us. thank you for this beautiful reminder, friend.