09 April 2011

This is joy? Yes.

Bonnie asked us to write on how we experience joy.  I pondered.  I prayed.  I might have snickered.

These have been times of change, growth, stretching and shifting. 
I have felt the role of both betrayed and betrayer.
I have been shattered glass that attempts to be strong as steel. 
Joy has not been the first thing I've thought of this last little while
perhaps it should have been.

This morning I sensed the Lord asking me to turn to the first chapter of James, and though I know it well, I did as He requested:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  James 1:2-4 NIV

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way. James 1:2-4 The Message 

I opened my journal, lifted my pen, and asked Him to elaborate.

Yes, count it all joy as you face challenges, child, for I Am at work, teaching and perfecting you for the days ahead. Count it as joy, for it because of your closeness to My heart that things of this world disturb you.

Lean into Me, and I will give you rest.  Lean upon Me and I will give you strength and support for each step ahead of you.

Even as I strip way every other crutch you have leaned on, I remain your True Crutch.
 
So I shall choose joy.  I will worship Him and rejoice that He loves me enough to continue His work in me.


FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG

Come join the Jam with Bonnie this week on joy 

2 comments:

Sandra Heska King said...

Thank you for this, dear friend.

And the photo--gorgeous.

Bonnie Gray said...

What a beautiful, responsive heart you have to God! That in itself encourages and gives me joy! He is real, and that is joy. Thank you for sharing your moment in James for the jam!