14 January 2012

Empty hands

In my head this morning I was hearing the words of David from the Psalms:

O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.
So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise You.
Thus I will bless You while I live
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
Psalm 63:1-4 NKJV

So I sat in the quiet of the new day, seeking for what He would share, and He said:

Come to Me and lay down all that burdens you.  We will sort through things together, you and I.

I saw Him kneeling beside me on the ground, sorting through piles of what I knew was my stuff.  I was embarrassed by all the ragged edges and by just how much was spread out before us.  Often He turned to smile at me as He tossed something aside.

If there is anything in the piles you are meant to keep, I will return it to you and give you the ability to carry it. Things are heavy when you have chosen them on your own without running here to Me and asking.

Don't worry about what you leave with Me, it is well tended in My hands.

I realize now that
there was nothing at all
that He returned to me. 
My hands are empty.
With extraordinary lightness
I lift them in worship.

 

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Such beautiful writing and meaning. Empty for worship. I needed this thought tonight. God always finds me with just what I needing. Thank you for being the vessel through which He works.

Anonymous said...

buttermilk clouds in the pink.

i like the smile and and tossing something aside.