01 October 2013

tenacious cling

winds are gusting fierce this morning
blowing the nighttime 
clouds of darkness 
across the morning sky

the yard 
mowed yesterday 
before the rain
is covered 
with foliage curling up 
to die in brown, gold
screaming yellow

yet there are leaves
that cling hard 
to branches both tenacious 
and stubborn they tremble 
in the storm
willing themselves to live 
for moments longer
every bit of them focused 
on the fight
how much easier to let go
surrendered 
to the wind

take me, then
I whisper
wherever You will


this is Day 1 of 31 days of surrender







also linking with the poets, hanging out at the pub today

 

15 comments:

Brian Miller said...

take me when you will..surrender is not easy...the laying down of our own will to another instead of fighting it....

brudberg said...

How much ..easier to give up.. that's indeed a great question.. clinging on when all is lost

Anonymous said...

The fight to hang on can be hard at times... wonderful poem.

Anonymous said...

Breath-taking poem...a fight to hold on can be difficult to do at times...

Awesome poem...

Mystic_Mom said...

I truly love this, as I watch our leaves scatter before a hard pressing wind, and the lawn peeks green beneath their fall colored shrouds.

Mary said...

I do like this. Almost prayerful. I do think the best is to say "Wherever you will" and mean it!

(Any chance you can get rid of word verification? It is a pain in the neck, and I am trying now for the THIRD time to get the letters right. Sigh. )

Scarlet said...

A lovely message, to surrender gracefully to the wind is one I would hope to someday do ~

Lisa A. Williams said...

Lovely write!

ayala said...

A beautiful poem!

Laurie Kolp said...

Letting go IS so much easier.

Sandra Heska King said...

willing themselves to live...
because in the letting go is death
to self
yet life full and abundant.

Take me, too.

Claudia said...

you describe the freedom that comes when we manage to let go so good here... i wish i were better when it comes to letting go...still practicing...smiles

Debi Swim said...

I'm with Claudia here-it is hard. This is a lovely poem.

Jody Lee Collins said...

wow....I saw your button '31 days of surrender.' I'm intrigued with your travels--this was a wonderful way to begin.
You say so much with so few words, my friend.

flaubert said...

Love the ending to this poem.

Pamela