02 October 2013

accept the blessing

Wait and listen, everyone who is thirsty! 
Come to the waters; 
and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! 
Yes, come, buy [priceless, spiritual] wine and milk 
without money and without price 
[simply for the self-surrender that accepts the blessing]. 
Isaiah 55:1 Amplified

This is the first time I really read this verse in the Amplified version, or perhaps it leaped off the page at me because I am focused on surrender this month.

I would not have thought that it takes surrender to accept blessings, but I recently walked through an example of such.  Rick and I spent a weekend in Winnipeg to meet with someone about plans for long term mission work.  Our usual mode of operation would have been to book a hotel room but the person who arranged our meetings also knows how costs can quickly accumulate when you're on the road building a support team.  He found a couple from his church who were willing to provide us a place to shelter.

Before we headed to the city various conversations occurred in my head:
Me:  Guess I don't need to pack a swimsuit, no hotel whirlpool to relax in
Me:  This trip isn't about luxury, but what life will be like without such things.
Me:  I know, I know, but....
Me:  Oh well, we have to stay with strangers but it will save money.
Me:  Yes, but this could be a divine appointment.  God knows what He's doing.  
Me:  I don't like to impose on others... I'm used to paying my own way.
Me:  Get used to it.
The weekend was a delight.  Not only did our hosts provide delicious breakfasts but also warm fellowship around the table.  Strangers became friends, and certainly God smiled.

All of our other meals were prepared and shared at no cost to us, at the home of the couple who hosted the visitors we were meeting with, giving us much more time for conversation than we had expected.

I remember whispering to Rick that we have to get used to accepting and receiving hospitality. We needed to clothe ourselves in humility. We needed to surrender false pride. We needed to surrender self-sufficiency.

In that surrender, blessing followed blessing followed blessing.


this is Day 2 of 31 days of surrender









also joining Emily and the broken but redeemed






and at Beth's with my 3 words

 

6 comments:

Beth said...

Oh how I love this. It does take surrender to accept blessings and as I enter a season where I will need to learn to accept the help from others I hope to remember what you have shared. I really would love for you to come by and link this up for Three Word Wednesday. You begin with three words!! Blessings to you.

Beth said...

I also really love what you have chosen to do for the 31 blog series!!

Ceil said...

Hi FF! I loved the part where you had that discussion with yourself. Can I relate to that!

Giving others the chance to be Christ to us is hard sometimes. Here you are, wanting to learn how to give, having a hard time accepting. So ironic!

I am so glad you enjoyed your time and the hospitality that was shown to you. God works in all his people for your comfort. He loves you so much.

Happy Wednesday!
Ceil

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Firefly,

I'm so curious to hear more about the long-term ministries you are praying and considering... I grew up in a missions family and loved it.

What a gracious couple you encountered this weekend in Winnipeg.

Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

elizabeth said...

I would have had the same kind of thoughts as yours, had the same struggles accepting the hospitality. I'm sure it was a blessing to you as well as to your hosts!

Mommy Emily said...

Oh how wonderful! I'm so glad you enjoyed the company and that you were both blessed and a blessing... Love to you friend. xo