26 June 2012

How can I not sing?

There have been rocky days and unsettled nights in our home, tension hovering in the air like the steam that rises over water just ready to boil.

We are facing updates or repairs to our water filtration system or an enormous investment in running rural water lines across the miles.

All at once I am faced with a variety of health issues, some minor, others more substantial.  Appointments are scheduled, prayers requested, and yet, fears linger.

Add to these, vehicle breakdowns and the need now to not repair, but likely purchase again, when we have only had mere months without car loan payments.

I am not foolish enough (though I would gladly be a fool for Christ) to watch these troubles piling precariously one on the other without some sense of uncertainty.  I would be a liar to claim I am free from trepidation.  It seems as though we have been stuck in a life size game of Jenga, waiting for the tower to topple.

In our daily verse email this morning God's message was unclouded:

Enjoy prosperity while you can, but when hard times strike, realize that both come from God. Remember that nothing is certain in this life. Ecclesiastes 7:14 NLT

He Is always
His thoughts and plans just beyond my grasp
and even when I am afraid
when my eyes don't see the light
He Is worthy to be praised

and through my mind rumble the words of a hymn by Eva Cassidy:

My life goes on in endless song
above earth's lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
that hails a new creation.

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear it's music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?

No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that rock I'm clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?


Linking over at Peter's where the word today is jubilant


5 comments:

Carol said...

Thank-you for sharing the song-- and your faith!

caryjo said...

That hymn is amazing... so fits into what so many are facing [just seeing on the news more of the fires in Colorado Springs and have so many connections out there through spiritual groups]. However, I'm sorry this is hitting you so hard and on so many levels. So often, I really try to remind myself that ONLY JESUS is the key to our lives.

You are on my heart.

Cris Ferreira said...

Beautiful hymn, I don't think I've heard it before. I live in Brazil and most of our hymns are translated from English. I will look for this one up to see if we have a version here.
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Wonderful Hymn...my prayers are with you!

Floyd said...

Thanks for sharing your heart in difficult times. This is not the Garden of Eden, but we do have the Holy Spirit within calming us in the roughest of storms.

I find comfort in your words as you find comfort in our Father.

I'm praying for you, may the storms quickly pass and the wisdom appointed unto you by God be lasting.

Thanks to Jay and Jason linking this up.