03 July 2017

not enough tears


there comes a time
when there are not
words enough
when there are not
tears enough
when my heart forgets to beat
and my lungs don't remember
how to breathe

standing or falling
in silent prayers
to save a life
to see the end
of other lives needlessly
ending too soon

living here, in a place
where a hospital
is considered a place to die
not a place to heal

and in my aching
in my weak and trembling flesh
the Lord is speaking 
something new
an urging, a summons
a call to action

wake up Zambia
arise in the shining light
grab hold hard
to these lives too precious
to simply slip away

please pray for our dear friend
balanced on the edge of here and gone
pray harder for the others
the multitudes
who lay dying in beds of neglect

ask our God
to be God
in ways only He can
believe that our friend will declare:

The strong right arm of the Lord is raised in triumph.
    The strong right arm of the Lord has done glorious things!
 I will not die; instead, I will live
    to tell what the Lord has done.
Psalm 118:16-17 NLT


No comments: