15 September 2010

Letting go

This week Sarah, Jason and more of us are reading Chapter 3 of The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. We get to meet the rich young ruler that questioned Jesus about His requirements.

Another day, a man stopped Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"

Jesus said, "Why do you question me about what's good? God is the One who is good. If you want to enter the life of God, just do what he tells you."

The man asked, "What in particular?"

Jesus said, "Don't murder, don't commit adultery, don't steal, don't lie, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as you do yourself."

The young man said, "I've done all that. What's left?"

"If you want to give it all you've got," Jesus replied, "go sell your possessions; give everything to the poor. All your wealth will then be in heaven. Then come follow me."

That was the last thing the young man expected to hear. And so, crest-fallen, he walked away. He was holding on tight to a lot of things, and he couldn't bear to let go.
Matthew 19:16-22 The Message

I have to question how tight is my grip on the things of this world? Even as my spirit longs to fly free, unburdened by the weight of possessions, my flesh yet shouts to "hold on".

My husband and I have sought the Lord for His plans for our life and both feel committed to long term missions work. As we pray and plan and dream the conviction grows firmer.

And yet...

There is that nagging voice, whining voice, selfish and proud, that asks and asks again "Why would you want to walk away from all that you have? You love your house and surrounding land. You have a good and happy life, why mess with it?" The louder the words, the more I know this is the sound of my flesh, or the sound of the crowd or indeed the voice of the enemy himself, but it is not the Lord speaking.

And I answer "Because God asked, and I will obey."

And I can almost feel my fingers release their hold just a little bit more, knowing that the enemy has once again overplayed his hand, and I reach higher for the things of the Kingdom of God.

Come on over to Jason's place Connecting to Impact to read more and maybe even add to our discussion.

Enhanced by Zemanta


3 comments:

jasonS said...

"...but it is not the Lord speaking." There are so many voices, but it's not as hard to discern as we make it out to be. The devil isn't asking us to serve the poor and step out in faith. It isn't our flesh either. I want to hear and respond to what the Lord is speaking!

Thank you Karin.

Unknown said...

I so appreciate your honesty and heart in this. Praying for you!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Oh... did I need to hear this tonight... reflect on this tonight.
You'll never know how God used you in a mighty way for me...
I am desperate to hear the Lord speak and do His will... your post spurs me on to deep listening.

And your life and prayers and decisions for the future inspire!

Alls' grace,
Ann Voskamp
High Calling Contributing Editor