04 August 2010

Hearing His call

Some years ago, I began to hear a quiet, gentle, metallic tinkling sound like wind chimes. This could happen anywhere, and there were no chimes present. After the chimes I would sense a thought from God, a short word of comfort, encouragement or direction. This happened so often that I began to realize that He had gifted me with the sound of chimes as a sign that He wanted to speak to me, so each time I heard the sound I would become silent and still, waiting in faith for Him to speak.

He has never disappointed me. I regret that in the business of life I often miss hearing and have even totally forgotten the chimes for long periods of time. When I remember and mention to the Lord in prayer that I have not heard the chimes or His voice, I sense Him simply saying

“You have not been listening”.

"This is what the LORD says, he who made the earth, the LORD who formed it and established it—the LORD is his name: 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.' Jeremiah 33:2-3 NIV

I am listening
as I breathe in the fragrance
of all His hand has made

Silenced
by the steady hum
one of His messengers

and He is calling
ever calling
writing His love
boldly displayed
for eyes willing to see

Join us as this week at Ann Voskamp's A Holy Experience we continue to share about listening to the voice of God.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful...when He "hushes" the soul clutter of our lives, we can hear so clearly can't we?

Awesome words and pictures!

Janis Van Keuren said...

What a beautiful relationship you have with the Lord. You have tuned your ear to His voice.
Lovely meditation and beautiful photographs.

Thank you for stopping by and visiting for WFW.

I do Ann's Multitude Mondays! Isn't she a blessing.

Blessings,
Janis

Laura said...

What an extraordinary gift! This makes me wonder what I have missed that the din of life has drowned out.

Connie Arnold said...

How wonderful to hear chimes from the Lord. Of course, we do have to listen and I'm sure miss an awful lot! Lovely pictures, lovely post.

S. Etole said...

your ability to hear is commendable ...

Linda said...

What a precious gift He has given you. It is amazing, the way He quietly waits for us to listen.