03 October 2009

Facing bad news & foggy days

I spent last week back in the States helping my mother walk through her first chemotherapy treatment and the exhaustion, anxiety and depression that followed. My mother is eighty-one years old and has enjoyed a full life. Yet I can only imagine how difficult it must be for her to face a diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer with no belief in heaven. As often as possible I gently spoke of the assurance I have and the ways in which that hope makes each of my days sweeter and more complete. I was scattering seeds.

Yesterday I received news of a dear friend in his early forties who has a tumor on one of his kidneys. He was requesting prayer - that the cancer would be contained, that he would be healed and live, that he and his wife would find the peace and comfort of God, and mostly that God would be glorified through all of it. Again, I can only imagine the thoughts that are racing through their minds, but I know that our God will sustain them.

How do you face bad news when it comes, for surely it comes into every life in one form or another? If you don't have a relationship with Jesus Christ, there is no better time than now to get to know Him. He has the answer to every question. He can shine a light through the thickest fog and He can direct your steps to a place of safety and peace.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13 NIV



2 comments:

Barbara said...

Sometimes life is so hard, especially when we hear of young people facing cancer. I pray that you will still have an opportunity to 'reach' your mother so she knows her need to surrender her life to Christ, before it's too late. Thinking of you! My mother died of cancer at 56....she went too early, and I still miss her!

Pet said...

You and your mother are in my Prayers.