10 October 2009

We Gather Together

When Thanksgiving approaches, the 1597 hymn from The Netherlands, We Gather Together, always comes to mind.

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens His will to make known.
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing.
Sing praises to His name, He forgets not his own.

(see all of the lyrics and listen to the melody here)

I have asked our hostess if we may join at table and sing this lovely hymn before we partake of our meal tomorrow. Surely it is good to sing praises to His name for He has called us His own!

and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us. 2 Corinthians 1:22 New Living Translation

1 comment:

Bonita said...

I love this song and Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday. I just figured out that you must be in Canada or I must have been comatose for over a month! LOL! Not Thanksgiving here yet.