05 April 2012

Copper Kettles for Rumors of Water

Lyla Lindquist of A Different Story is leading us in a study of L. L. Barkat's Rumors of Water

I tossed some words about in the air and this is how they landed --

Copper kettles
cold as ice
water waits without a hint
of movement

None of the boiling
needed
for my cinnamon tea
sweet with
red hot chili bite

Tongue touches lips
salivating
water cold as ice
in copper kettles
full and silent

Words wait
no hint of movement
to be poured fresh
steaming

I must use
what I have
but first
turn on the flame

Begin to begin


Stop by Tweetspeak Poetry to join the conversation!


 

4 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I do like that "begin to begin." Yes, perfect. :)

Jason Stasyszen said...

I agree--'begin to begin' is a powerful thought! Thanks Karin.

Lyla Lindquist said...

The heat and cold here keep stopping me. I think heat with a copper kettle, and you have it ice cold. And it jars me a little. In a good way.

Thanks for jumping in with this, Karin! I'm so glad you're along for the Rumors ride. :-)

Sandra Heska King said...

...first turn on the flame...

Reminds me of fanning the flame, and sometimes that takes time and patience.

And then there's "a watched pot never boils."