29 August 2009

Life is just a bowl of pickles

If life is just a bowl of pickles, our bowl will be overflowing! I have made 18 quarts of garlic dills since yesterday morning to go with the 9 quarts made last week. And.. and.. there are still cucumbers on the vine and more blossoms just beginning.

I'm not really complaining, even though I pretend to scream in horror when Rick comes in from the garden with another full pail. I have a recipe that's very simple. The most time consuming part is washing the cukes and rubbing off the spines.

FireFly's Garlic Dills

Wash all cucumbers, removing as many spines as possible
Cut a thin slice off each end
Leave whole or quarter or slice -- whatever you prefer

Brine is made of equal parts vinegar and water with 1 tablespoon pickling salt for every 2 cups liquid. Bring brine to a boil

Pack each hot, sterilized quart jar with 1-2 cloves (depending on size and your taste) of garlic (Rick's homegrown garlic is the very best), 2 heads fresh dill, and as many cucumbers as you can cram in. Fill jar with hot brine, remove air bubbles, wipe rim, place fresh lid on and twist on ring securely but not too tight.

Process jars in boiling water for 15 minutes. Cool on counter overnight and check to be sure jars have sealed. Any unsealed jars must be refrigerated.

Label and store jars in a cool, dark location. We are blessed to have a cold storage room in the basement. The longer they sit, the better they get.

Place in refrigerator to chill well before serving. This makes them crisp!

Next I think I'll let some of the cucumbers grow large and turn them into relish as pickle mania continues.

4 comments:

Edie said...

Wow, that's a lot of pickles? :)

Kiva-Farmstead Lady said...

Love the pickles...unfortunately they didn't grow very well this year. Only a few farmers/gardeners had any yields. I tried pepper-onion relish this year because my peppers are growing wonderfully.

Helen said...

I have never pickled anything before.
These sound delicious.

Jenn @ Beautiful Calling said...

Thanks for sharing. I hope some day to have my own garden but for now, I bought a half bushel at the farmers market and actually used your recipe!! (and also a recipe from the Ball Book of Canning for Gherkins!)
Yummy!

Thanks for sharing!