07 August 2009

Garden mystery


As you approach our yard site there is a spot where the soil was not good for vegetables, so we decided to allow wildflowers and other invasive perennials to take over. It is the "gone wild" garden. Yesterday I noticed these spikey purplish-blue flowers. I have been searching online trying to learn what they might be, yet they still remain a mystery. The closest match I've found so far is wild lupins, but the petals are somewhat different. If anyone reading has a better answer, please share.


This flower is in one of the flower beds that surround the front south side of the house. It is a dianthus (sweet William). The lacey green frills are from a cosmos plant behind it. I love the way the pink and white petals look almost like angel wings.

It is comforting assurance that the Word gives us about angels surrounding us

For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. Psalm 91:11-12 NIV

2 comments:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Those purple flowers are just gorgeous! I am unsure what they could be but are beautiful.
Collette xxx

aspiritofsimplicity said...

They could be a type of heather or perhaps liatris but they look too small for liatris. I am spelling liatris wrong but it isn't in spell check.
I love sweet William as that was my grandfather's name.