12 July 2008

Not just another boat ride!

December 4, 2007

After a restful sleep we enjoyed a splendid breakfast buffet at the Lodge. How can there be anything wrong with a day that starts with fresh passionfruit juice? We were quickly whisked away for our next activity, a boat ride on the Nile.

There were hippos everywhere! Pod after pod after pod. We would see heads sticking out of the water, and there were always too many to count.

A colorful bee-eater!








I was happy to watch this crocodile from the safety of the boat. He looked to be out for his morning stroll, although I'm sure anything that came across his path would be breakfast.

I had to keep reminding myself this wasn't just "another" boat ride. We were on the Nile River!! It was hard to supress my excitement. It was harder still to contain my awe at all God had created. I suspect that pictures of me would have found my eyes wide and mouth open.


From the river we were able to see a much different view of Murchison Falls than we had from the top. There is so much power in the water that we could see foam for miles down river.


After we got as close as the boat could to the base of the falls, we turned around for the trip home. Keeping our eyes turned to the river bank we saw a large herd of elephants, antelopes, hippos and more, all sharing the same space. We could certainly learn something about the way they co-exist.


Of course they also eat each other, but that's another story altogether.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hippos! So amazing! Remember the one that chased our boat?

As for the crocadile...they creeped me out! When I saw the one in the grass with it's mouth open, after I had already skimmed through the grass and missed it the first time - it caught my attention. And how thankful I was to have a space on the boat...if I walked along the grass I would have been lunch! Freaky.