01 March 2014

giving up the "why"

The question Diana asks us to live this week is Why do bad things happen to good people?
I believe that question walks hand in hand with How can there be a loving God in a world where horrible things happen?

I have no answers
and I will not pretend to understand
or try to dig up reasons that sound like excuses
tears have wet pillows, cheeks streaked with why?
frustration grows at an accelerated pace
breathing fast until air is too thin to feed

I am learning to surrender
my need to know
giving up the why?
again and again
I find myself confessing
my heart on its knees
let it be enough to know that You know
so we can move on
to the now what?
remembering we are still in Your arms
even when nothing feels safe
or certain

help us turn the question 
on its head, and ask instead
why do we deserve all the good poured out upon us?

grace, Your grace alone

Diana Trautwein - Living into the Answers
diving in with Diana

 

6 comments:

carol longenecker hiestand said...

"remembering we are still in Your arms
even when nothing feels safe
or certain"

this is the only place to be, isn't it? thanks for stopping by my blog just now...finding you here through Diana's community

Joy Lenton said...

"help us turn the question
on its head, and ask instead
why do we deserve all the good poured out upon us?
grace, Your grace alone"

Such a pertinent question, Karin! How quick we are to see what we perceive as injustice when God has already poured out His life for us. His grace circumscribes our days and yet... we linger long on all that seems unfair and wrong.
Thank you, friend, for turning this question on its head so beautifully. It's always a blessing to read your poetic expressions. :) x

Grace said...

I specially like this part:

remembering we are still in Your arms
even when nothing feels safe
or certain

Jody Lee Collins said...

My friend, your words are anointed. Every. Time.
These lines stopped me, "let it be enough to know that You know
so we can move on
to the now what?"
Yes, Jesus, the 'now what?'
Ever give us listening ears. Amen.

Anonymous said...

who is good?

diana said...

Oh, yes - the now what? Thank you, Karin, for this thoughtful response. Short, simple and deep - what I've come to expect from this place. Grateful for you.