06 February 2013

Do you believe in His love?

Each morning, as part of our daily routine, we invite our dog Faith in for a visit.  She is always anxious to receive Rick's attention, gazing up at him with adoring and questioning eyes.  She knows that he is the boss and seems to need a verbal and physical reminder of his love.  Food is good; biscuits are a delight; chasing squirrels and birds and rodents a favourite activity but knowing she is loved is her greatest desire.  Sweet words, rubs and scratches send her off happy with tail wagging.  Her contentment lasts for a short time, but much like us, her belief soon needs reinforcement again.

"Do you love me?  Do you really love me?"  I seem to ask the same of my Heavenly Father, and though my head knows and believes, my heart seeks affirmation.

As I spent time in the silence with Him today, I opened my journal and He spoke to me about this very thing:

Just as your dog looks each day for approval from her master 
and confirmation of his love--
so too can you come to Me
for My love is sure
and never ending
and does not depend on what you've done
or who you are
but Who I Am

Let My love establish your balance and direction
let Me set the course for your day
acknowledge that My ways
are higher, deeper, wiser than your own

then in trust
let go

Jesus said, “If? There are no ‘ifs’ among believers. Anything can happen.” No sooner were the words out of his mouth than the father cried, “Then I believe. Help me with my doubts!”
Mark 9:23-24 The Message

As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, He said to the ruler of the synagogue, “Do not be afraid; only believe.” Mark 5:36 NKJV


walking with Emily and the imperfect redeemed

 

2 comments:

Mommy Emily said...

it moves me so greatly, how our Abba father uses things in our own lives, like our dogs, to relate to us. this is so touching friend. thank you.

Nancy said...

I get this--I truly do. We had a Labrador Retriever once who seemed to desire nothing more than to look to my husband for affirmation and affection. Okay, well that and retrieve ducks. But, I get what you are saying in this imagery. Perfect.